Top health tips for keeping trim around the office
A sedentary lifestyle in the office can add unwanted pounds to your body. Here are a few simple steps that can help you to lose weight without having to give up your job:
1. Instead of emailing to your colleagues, it would be more beneficial if you walked those extra steps to his cubicle. Though the steps will be few but eventually they will definitely make a big difference. Moreover, a face-to-face rendezvous always helps to build a better rapport.
2. Avoid high calorie snacks and tea or coffee from the office vending machine. Instead stack your drawer with healthy and nutritious snacks like nuts, seeds, raisins and other dry fruits. Other choices include fresh fruits, raw veggies, sachets of herbal teas and ordinary coffee. Drinking strong coffee also helps, since caffeine increases your metabolism. However, it should be black coffee, minus the cream and sugar.
3. Use a wireless headset to receive phone calls. This way you can also take a walk around the office premises at the same time. Make it a point to take a 5 minute brisk walk at regular intervals of 2 hours. By the end of the day, this will eventually add up to a 20 minute walk.
4. One of the simplest ways to shed extra pounds while working in the office is to drink ice cold water.
This will boost the metabolism rate of your body, consequently helping you to burn additional 100 calories while you are just sitting in your office chair. You can add a zest of lemon or crushed strawberry for flavor. A few raspberries or even a slice of peach will make a refreshing drink. Instead of gulping down soda, fruit juices, iced teas, drink ample amounts of water. Cutting down on aerated beverages can make a significant difference to your daily calorie count.
5. Yet another way to burn calories is to simply twirl a few times in your swivel chair. For every 60 rotations, you will burn about 50 calories. Merely standing can also help to burn calories. Always keep moving even when you are working at your desk. Doing squats and lunges for even a few minutes every five hours is enough to do the trick.
6. Instead of waiting for the elevator, use the stairs. Try to take double steps as this will force your muscles to work harder. You can also work your calf muscles by tip toeing around the office or even while standing at our desk. Merely spending as much as 10 minutes, walking up and down the stairs on a daily basis will help you to lose approximately 10 pounds a year.
7. Instead of having a high fat and rich carb lunch at your nearest fast food joint, it would be advisable if you packed your lunch at home. This way, not only will you be eating a healthy and well-balanced diet but also save considerable amount of time and money.
A stressful and deskbound lifestyle increases the fat in your body. Thus, irrespective of how busy you are, make it a point to take some time out for yourself.